Re: binary distribution build with automake

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: binary distribution build with automake
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 20:11:43 +0200

Hello Andreas,

* Andreas Otto wrote on Fri, May 08, 2009 at 01:28:16PM CEST:
>   I missing one target in automake to create a binary distribution

> Reason:
>
>       1. the default prefix is "/usr/local" -> thats ok
>       2. this prefix is required for libraray "rpath" feature -> thats ok
>       3. to buid and install a sw in "/usr/local" is a problem because it
>               belons to "root" and not to the "user" ans should not be
>               used in "normal" sw development
>
> what I want
>
>       1. a new target "binary-dist"

You can just write one in your Makefile.am, as a plain 'make' rule.
For reusability, you can also put it in a fragment file and include it
in your Makefile.am.

>       2. to create a binary distribution:
>               "$(PACKAGE)-$(PACKAGE_VERSION)-$(build).tar.gz"
>               -> I choose "build" as hw/os identification string

I think for a binary distribution you want to use $(host) not $(build).

>       3. able to use "--prefix" as system-directory !without!
>               installation requirement

You can use DESTDIR installs (see 'info Automake DESTDIR') to create a
temporary install tree that looks (almost) like the final thing.

I don't think Automake should provide something like this by default:
first, it's simple enough to be added by developers, second,
distributing binaries without further information on packaging,
dependencies etc. isn't something we need to further encourage,
and the business of distributing packages is very well done already
by the various distribution tools like rpm, apt, ...
You could just use one (or several) of those.

Hope that helps.