Re: rebuilding following a change in prefix?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: rebuilding following a change in prefix?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:13:06 +0200

* Andreas Schwab wrote on Fri, May 08, 2009 at 10:47:20AM CEST:
> Jan Engelhardt <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Well, automake (unfortunately?) does not currently issue a recompile
> > when the compiler command changed.
> > It would be really cool to have that, though.
>
> But that should be optional.  I don't want to do a complete rebuild just
> because I want to do a quick recompile of a single object file with
> different options.

I think the general idea this is hinting at is a dependency on the full
build rules and on the dependency tree itself.  IIRC Solaris make has a
related feature, and there have been proposals for this for GNU make
(maybe a SoC one?), but AFAIK no code yet.  Anyway such an approach
would sound like a more useful idea to me.