Re: My project can't use `silent-rules'

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: My project can't use `silent-rules'
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 14:32:14 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

> The reason why my package can not use AC_INIT is that the package
> version information is (often) computed by shell script code based on
> the last entry in the project ChangeLog or other information.  It is
> (apparently) not possible for user-provided script code to be executed
> prior to AC_INIT and it is not clear if AC_INIT would allow passing a
> shell variable in order to obtain the package version value.

==> configure.ac <==
m4_include([version.m4])
AC_PREREQ([2.61])

AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_INSTALL

AC_OUTPUT

==> version.m4 <==
AC_INIT([foo], [1.0], address@hidden)

Seems to work for me, although I've not used it for a real package.  You
then just automatically generate version.m4 as part of your bootstrap
process before running autoconf.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>