Re: cross-compiling on 64 to 32-bit Linux

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: cross-compiling on 64 to 32-bit Linux
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:19:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 23 May 2009, John Calcote wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the procedure was for cross-compiling 32-bit apps on a 64-bin Linux system? Do you need special libraries. What command-line options are used? That sort of thing. I'm happy to read up on it, if there are references that you can point me to.

I see that Jan Engelhardt has already responded. The first thing to know is that Linux is a kernel and that some 64-bit Linux systems support running 32-bit applications while some other 64-bit Linux systems are 64-bit only. 64-bit only systems are likely to provide a GCC which only produces 64-bit applications.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn