Re: makes which break with `silent-rules'

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: makes which break with `silent-rules'
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 13:12:02 +0200

>  - The `silent-rules' option enables Linux kernel-style silent build output.
>    This option requires the widely supported but non-POSIX `make' feature
>    of recursive variable expansion,

We are talking about constructs like this:

====== Makefile ======
all :
        echo $(XY_V)

XY_V = $(XY_$(V))
XY_0 = silent
XY_1 = verbose
XY_ = unknown

I think this is supported by POSIX. POSIX [1] says: "Macros can appear anywhere
in the makefile.".

> Is anyone aware of specific vendor make programs which fail with
> automake 1.11's new `silent-rules' option?

The 'make' programs from Solaris 2.4 (1994) and from AIX 4.3, IRIX 6.5,
HP-UX 11.00, OSF/1 4.0 all support this feature.

Bruno

[1] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/make.html