Re: running tests under in a tests/ directory

From: William Pursell
Subject: Re: running tests under in a tests/ directory
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 07:23:28 +0100

aaragon wrote:
> The main idea that I got from
> your reply is that this new code won't work with older versions of Automake.
> Is this the case? Can something be done regarding this issue? Let say, check
> for the version of Automake and if it is indeed version 1.11 then use the
> newer features but if the version is older, then fall back to something that
> can still be used. Otherwise the code that you wrote is not really portable.
> For example, I compile my code in a cluster that has version 1.9.2 installed
> and I have no way to upgrade that.

Your distributed package will not depend on Automake.  You install
automake-1.11 on your development box, produce a tar.gz, and copy
the tar.gz to the cluster which needn't have automake installed
at all.  If you want to develop on the boxes to which you will
install, there still shouldn't be a problem; if you have the ability
to compile and install your own code on the box, then you
can install automake as well.  (Where 'install' might mean
'put in $HOME')

--
William Pursell