Re: support for lzip

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: support for lzip
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:57:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Antonio Diaz Diaz wrote:

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
Is lzip expected to be portable? Did you receive the email (and patch) that I sent to you a day ago regarding a portability issue?

Lzip is supposed to be portable to posix systems with GCC. It is easy to port lzip to some non-posix systems like OS/2[1].
[1] http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=lzip

That is good to hear. Does it compile with many different C++ compilers (besides GCC)? For example, does it compile under the Microsoft Visual Studio compiler for Windows? I don't see Microsoft Windows in your list.

I see a huge disparity in source distribution size:

% du -sh lzip-1.6-pre3 bzip2-1.0.4 gzip-1.2.4a xz-4.999.8beta
247K    lzip-1.6-pre3
3.0M    bzip2-1.0.4
787K    gzip-1.2.4a
4.1M    xz-4.999.8beta

SLOCCount (by David A. Wheeler) results:
lzip-1.6-pre3:  3,373
bzip2-1.0.4:    6,088
gzip-1.2.4a:    6,302
xz-4.999.8beta: 29,825

Given this huge disparity in source code size, what features have been left out of lzip which may be of importance for Automake usage?

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn