dvi bug in distcheck target?

From: John Calcote
Subject: dvi bug in distcheck target?
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:10:02 -0600

Hi Automake maintainers,

I think there's a bug in the distcheck target related to the TEXINFO primary. (You may already know about it. I did a google search, but didn't find any references to it.)

Here's part of a sample Makefile.am from page 24 of the the Automake manual (1.10.2):

bin_PROGRAMS = zardoz
zardoz_SOURCES = main.c
info_TEXINFOS = zardoz.texi

Combined with a simple configure.ac file, when I run "make distcheck", I get the following error:

ERROR: files left in build directory after distclean:
./zardoz.dvi
make[1]: *** [distcleancheck] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jcalcote/dev/prj/ti-test/zardoz-1.0/_build'
make: *** [distcheck] Error 2
$

I have to add this line to the Makefile.am file to get the distcheck target to work cleanly:

CLEANFILES = zardoz.dvi

It appears that make clean is leaving the dvi file in place. In fact, when I manually execute make clean, after make dvi, I get the following output:

test -z "zardoz" || rm -f zardoz
rm -rf zardoz.aux zardoz.cp zardoz.cps zardoz.fn zardoz.fns zardoz.ky \
          zardoz.kys zardoz.log zardoz.pg zardoz.pgs zardoz.tmp \
          zardoz.toc zardoz.tp zardoz.tps zardoz.vr zardoz.vrs \
          sample.dvi sample.pdf sample.ps sample.html
rm -f *.o

It looks like the last line should contain:

          zardoz.dvi zardoz.pdf zardoz.ps zardoz.html

Regards,
John