Re: dvi bug in distcheck target?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dvi bug in distcheck target?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:10:00 +0200

* John Calcote wrote on Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 09:15:10PM CEST:
> It never occurred to me that Automake would
> look inside the texi file to determine the name of the output file,
> but it makes sense.

I don't think it does.  Well, maybe it produces "expected results" for a
large number of use cases, but every time the output of automake depends
upon the contents (or even existence) of other files, we have dependency
issues and are liable for surprises: strictly speaking, in this case,
Makefile.in should depend upon the .texi file, and thus be regenerated
each time the .texi file changes.  However, that would certainly not be
expected by automake users just writing on their manual a bit.