Re: Re: problems with recursive make target

From: johnwohlbier
Subject: Re: Re: problems with recursive make target
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:00:40 +0000

On Jun 29, 2009 1:44pm, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello John,
* address@hidden wrote on Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:36:09PM CEST:
> in top/lib/Makefile.am
> SUBDIRS = pika_comm pika_utilities
> # provide a separate recursive target for making tests
> tests : all
> echo `pwd`;
> for dir in $(SUBDIRS); do \
> cd $$dir && $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) $@ || exit 1; \
> done
> echo `pwd`;
> .PHONY : tests

You don't ever 'cd' back out of the first subdirectory, so you can't
find the second:

> make[2]: Leaving directory `/users/wohlbier/MPMC/pika/build/lib/pika_comm'
> /bin/sh: line 1: cd: pika_utilities: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [tests] Error 1

Thanks Ralf. I feel pretty dumb. You know I suspected that was the problem, and was trying to cd ../. But now I realize I was putting the cd ../ in the wrong place. After my wrongly placed cd ../ didn't work (which I thought was rightly placed) I thought maybe that the example code at http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/agaal/catalog_of_reusable_solutions was correct and make would handle the cd'ing for me. Maybe I should file a documentation bug report with John Calcote!

jgw