Re: subdirs that should not be configured

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: subdirs that should not be configured
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:39:58 -0600

Hi Nicolas,

On 7/9/2009 11:13 AM, Nicolas Bock wrote:
Hello list,

I have the following problem: I want to add an external package to our
own package. The external package is already configured in the sense
that its maintainer ran "make dist" and I simply untared the tar file
into some directory underneath our source tree. I add that directory to
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS in our main configure.ac and to SUBDIRS in our main
Makefile.am so that when I run our configure script I will also run the
configure script of the source package. The problem I have now is that
when I run autoreconf it descends into the external package and tries to
remake the configure script in there. How can I avoid that from
happening?

You can use the autoreconf --no-recursive option. This will autoreconf only the current directory. If you have sub-projects that need to be recursed into, but you need to skip this one directory, then you can create a simple shell script that contains simply:

autoreconf --no-recursive . subdir1 subdir2...

Then, run this shell script to autoreconf only the subdirectories you want.

The real problem here is a mixture of paradigms. You want to treat some directories (your own) as maintainer code, and other directories (your third-party directories) as user code.

Regards,
John