Re: Can 'make ctags' create tags in top_builddir?

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Re: Can 'make ctags' create tags in top_builddir?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 07:56:37 -0500

>> Could the ctags -a argument (or some other mechanism) be used to
>> simulate the inclusion mechanism?
>
> AFAIK there is no such mechanism in ctags files, nor in vi or its clones
> who read tags files.

It may be possible to use ctags' -a/--append option here.  Maybe having
'make ctags' run in $top_builddir do something like rm -f $top_builddir/ctags.
After that, the 'make ctags' target in all subdirectories appends to
$top_builddir/ctags using 'ctags -a $top_builddir/ctags'.

If that vague description sounds useful, I'll take a pass at getting it working.
Let me know.  If that's not something you think generally useful, I'm happy to
stick to ctags -R for my own work.

Thanks,
Rhys