aclocal.m4 location

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: aclocal.m4 location
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:06:03 -0400

Hi,
automake requires aclocal.m4 to be present in the current directory.
this is not the case for me, I have one master aclocal.m4 and a few
subprojects, each with its own Makefile.am and configure.in.
this means that for automake to run, I have to create a temp symlynk for
aclocal.m4 and then the generated Makefile requires the symlink to be present
(otherwise it calls automake which fails because aclocal.m4 is not in the
current directory).
Would it be possible to add a command line option to automake to specify the
location of the aclocal.m4?
thanks
Sam.