Re: Fortran and flag ordering

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Fortran and flag ordering
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:42:11 +0200

* NightStrike wrote on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 01:18:38AM CEST:
> When I put fortran sources in a binary that also contains C sources,
> the compiler optimization flags get messed up.

Not really.  It's the AC_PROG_{CC,CXX,...}  macros that select
appropriate default {C,CXX,...}FLAGS if the user hasn't passed
any.  You can avoid that by passing them explicitly
   ./configure CFLAGS= CXXFLAGS= ...

as user; and you can avoid the default setting as developer
by saving their value before the respective macro, and restoring
them afterwards.

Remember, the user should always be able to override the developer,
because the latter cannot know it all.