Re: silent-rules

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: silent-rules
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:33:11 +0000 (UTC)

В Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:18:54 +0200, Ralf Corsepius написа:

> In other words, I am expecting the same users who find "AM_SILENT"
> "cool", to be loosing their teeth some time later in some violent
> accidents.

As a distro package maintainer and a user I am with you on this matter,
but you should not blame the Automake developers for implementing this
feature.  Clearly, there are people who like it, so what is the problem?

I agree that distro builds should be as verbose as possible.  In fact in
Debian we caught some severe bugs by enabling verbose builds for GNUstep
packages, and we were badly bitten when there were incompatible changes
(gnustep-make 1.x -> 2.x) a few years ago that were *hidden* by the
silent output.

So, what's the problem for you to pass --disable-silent-rules,
--disable-shave, messages=yes, etc?  I do it for all my packages that
have silent rules by default, and the build logs are as verbose as I'd
like them to be:

https://buildd.debian.org/~luk/status/package.php?p=kazehakase