Re: Non-recursive automake

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Non-recursive automake
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:09:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

when one decides to drive make in a non-recursive fashion, one has to
write an Automake file like this:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = foo/bar.la
foo_bar_la_SOURCES = foo/one.c foo/two.c

Usually I stuff that into a file called "foo/Automakefile" and "include
foo/Automakefile" from the real Makefile.am. Despite being in a
subdirectory, one may not omit foo/; that is ok.

However, it is tiresome. Is there perhaps a way, or a planned
development action, so that one can omit all foo/s inside
foo/Automakefile and have automake automatically add foo/ upon seeing
"include" (or a variant thereof) in the upper Makefile.am?

I complained about this perhaps five years ago since it is the most annoying issue related to non-recursive build. There was some discussion on this list at that time but nothing was done to make things better.

It seems that a problem is that much of the Makefile.am file is simply copied to the output Makefile.in and so these parts would need to be re-written rather than copied. The good news is that perl is good at re-writing text.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn