Re: Include files outside srcdir?

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: Include files outside srcdir?
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 13:31:56 -0500

Joseph Garvin wrote:
I have a number of autotooled libraries. Currently their Makefile.am's
are largely redundant, so I thought I would use the 'include' keyword
and have them pull their common parts from some file. But as far as I
can tell, the include isn't being observed by automake -- instead it's
ignored and passed on to make, where it defines targets that make
doesn't care about (install-exec-hook, etc.). The documentation says
automake only pays attention to includes that start with $(srcdir) or
$(top_srcdir), but that's not possible in this instance, because each
library is its own project (recursive make isn't being used). Is there
anyway to do this? The only thing I can think of is having the include
define the regular make targets and bypass the help automake would
usually provide.

I'm not sure exactly what you wanna achieve here. But there is an autoconf macro
http://www.nongnu.org/autoconf-archive/ax_add_am_macro_static.html
which allows you to have autoconf to generate automake input. So one way you could do is to use this macro to create your code snippet and then install the macro where aclocal can find it. In this way you can reuse the code in several projects.

Peter

--
Peter Johansson

svndigest maintainer, http://dev.thep.lu.se/svndigest