Re: Add missing bootstrap file

From: Gaetan Nadon
Subject: Re: Add missing bootstrap file
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:08:28 -0500

On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 14:06 +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> * Jan Engelhardt wrote on Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 02:09:14AM CET:
> > in the automake tarballs, the 'bootstrap' script is missing, but it
> > would be needed when modifying any of the automake files in a tarball.
>
> Sounds reasonable to me, esp. since it doesn't even use git in any way
> (yet).

I have recently downloaded from the GNU site various versions of
automake. I did what the INSTALL file tells me to do. Run ./configure
and then make. I had no other automake version installed. It worked
right away in all cases. I don't see why any file would be missing in
the automake traball. At first, I did not have autoconf installed, so
automake told me it was missing. The INSTALL file is not talking about
any boostrap file.

If you want to modify files in automake, then you are doing development,
rather than just installing the software. Given that automake requires
itself, there may be special things to do. In any case, nothing should
be added to the tarball that isn't required for installation.

I hope it helps.