Re: writability of directories in distributions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: writability of directories in distributions
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:14:20 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Jim Meyering wrote:
The other issue, as I recall, has to do with whether or not 'root' is
doing the unpacking.

Remember that 'root' is going away on many systems which are now using
roles' (or temporary powers) instead.

At whatever pace, this won't be widespread enough
to constitute a solution anytime soon.

I am not sure what you mean by above. My point is that configure can't rely on UID 0 or user 'root' to decide if it should behave differently.

Certain major operating systems have been using 'roles' based administration for many years.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn