Re: full source file path

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: full source file path
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:27:53 +0100

Hello Jan,

* Jan Paral wrote on Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 09:24:32PM CET:
> my library is split into several directories ... so I define _SOURCES
> variable
> as:
> libsatbase_a_SOURCES = cfgfile/grammar.c common/hash.cxx ....
>
> and I have several libraries in the project. The problem is when I compile
> the project by calling 'make' gcc report warnings/errors only as
> subdirectory/file_name.

Why is that a problem?  My editor is smart enough to recognize the
relative paths, and adjust the search paths based upon GNU make
`Entering directory...'/`Leaving directory...' messages.  I'm pretty
sure that Emacs knows to do this as well.

> Is there a way to force automake to pass into gcc the
> full source path?

Absolute source paths are not such a good idea.  They also happen to not
work well with the dependency tracking scheme employed by Automake.

> Trying somethin like:
> $(abs_srcdir)/cfgfile/grammar.c
>
> This do the trick while compiling but then I get following error from 'make
> dist':
>
> cp: cannot stat `.//project/base/cfgfile/grammar.c': No such file or directory

Hmm, that sounds like a bug.

> The reason why I would like to include full source path is that emacs
> obviously can not find the file when compiling the library from different
> directory.

See above; that would seem to be a problem specific to some other setup
of yours, as otherwise, you certainly wouldn't be the only person
complaining.