test/Makefile.am: required file `gnuscripts/compile' not found

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: test/Makefile.am: required file `gnuscripts/compile' not found
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:57:27 +0000

Hi

On one of my projects I'm running into an issue, only on certain
platforms, where the compile script isn't available. e.g. on CentOS 5

$ autoreconf
test/Makefile.am: required file `gnuscripts/compile' not found
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
$

yet I have other projects, on the same platform, that don't require
the compile script to be available. AFAICT the compile script is for
systems where the the compiler doesn't understand "-c -o". This
therefore leads me to the question why does the compiler not
understand "-c -o" in this package but it does in others? The
test/Makefile.am to which the above error refers is attached. Is there
anything in this that explains why it wants the compile script?

Cheers

Adam

PS: I simple solution would be to just put an appropriate version of
the compile script in the gnuscripts but I would like to understand
why it is needed in this case, and not in others.