Re: amhello with generated version

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: amhello with generated version
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:14:12 +0100

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:14:35PM -0500, Peter Johansson wrote:
> It has been discussed recently that the way the VERSION is set with
> automake is suboptimal when the VERSION is changing frequently [1].

Very useful feature, I have a good intention to look at that -- I
regularly need magic solutions for use cases like these:

* Build an older version from VCS -- this seems to be covered by current
  autotools, provided the necessary files are checked in. Here I'd like
  to avoid the duplication of version numbers in autotools and
  distro-specific files, although I'm not sure how to handle this for
  multiple distro files stored in the main package repo; perhaps the
  build scripts could specify their version during the configure call.

* Build an older version from VCS without a tag (like git-version-gen).

* Build a version from VCS without a tag with local modifications, so
  that this is reflected in the version (don't know whether
  git-version-gen handles this).

* Build a distro package with the package name and version from
  distro-dependent files (such as debian/control, debian/changelog).

All this without having to modify, check in or tag anything after
checking out. Are these use cases supported in the your development
version?

Thanks,
--
Baurzhan Ismagulov