Re: development work flow

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: development work flow
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:07:34 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Martin Kalbfuß wrote:

make & make install & program_name

is the typically development work flow.

I'm not sure if the program should get installed. If not, I don't know
how to the program should find the data files properly.

I'm generally not sure how the compiled program should find it's data
files. passing something to config.h, use an environment variable or
something similar?

In traditional Unix, programs get installed under a specified prefix (e.g. /usr/local) and if the program needs additional data files (e.g. under /usr/local/share/appname), then the full path to the directory containing these files is cached in a config.h file. However, sometimes it is useful for the program to be relocatable (especially under systems like Apple's OS-X or Microsoft Windows) and then more sophisticated methods may need to be used to find the program's data files.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn