config.guess and config.sub don't work properly when specifying CC

From: Nicolas Bock
Subject: config.guess and config.sub don't work properly when specifying CC
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:41:35 -0700

Hello list,

on Ubuntu 8.04 I find that if I specify CC when I run configure, the
configure script dies when it runs config.sub. I get this output

$ CC=/usr/local/gcc-4.3.0/bin/gcc ./config.guess
x86_64-unknown-linux-

but when I run with the system compiler (gcc 4.2.4):

$ ./config.guess
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

config.sub does not like "x86_64-unknown-linux-" and dies.

I don't find this behavior on a gentoo installation or Ubuntu 9.10. The dist
tar file is the same. Since the config.guess scripts I am using on the
ubuntu and the gentoo systems are the same, I guess the problem lies outside
config.guess. I have tried to understand what config.guess does, but haven't
gotten very far, so I can't tell what's going on.

nick