making config files

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: making config files
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:40:18 +0000

Hi,

I've been working on a project, Ganglia, that is built with autotools

Included in the source tree are templates for various configuration files (e.g. modpython.conf.in). Some of these include hard coded paths.

It seems appropriate to replace the hardcoded paths with substitutions (e.g. @sysconfdir@) - however, if the template is processed by configure, then the generated config file sometimes includes a value like ${prefix}/etc rather than an absolute path like /opt/ganglia-3.1/etc

Therefore, I felt that I should be aiming to have the config files generated at the last moment - probably during `make install', just before they are installed. Can anyone suggest best practice for doing this?

Regards,

Daniel