Re: making config files

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: making config files
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:28:22 +0000

Russ Allbery wrote:
Daniel Pocock <address@hidden> writes:

Thanks for that - the sed example appears to be the type of thing I want.

However, is there a more concise way to do this?  I was thinking there may
be some way to invoke sed or m4 on a template in much the way that gcc is
invoked for *.c

Half of that equation would be a more generic script.  Attached is what we
use for INN (which has a bunch of INN-specific bits, but also has the
basic framework for things).
The script seems fine - I've located it in your source tree here
http://inn.eyrie.org/svn/trunk/support/

and examples of how you use it here:
http://inn.eyrie.org/svn/trunk/scripts/
The other half would be to set up a way of automatically running that
script on particular files, and that's something I've never done.  I just
write explicit rules.

This is what interests me - although I could list out the rules for each target, I would like to try and do everything with automake

This is how I've been going about it: create $(top_srcdir)/ganglia.inc like so:

FIXCONFIG = $(top)/scripts/fixconfig

%: %.tmpl $(FIXCONFIG)
 $(FIXCONFIG) $<

and put something like the following into each Makefile.am:

include $(top_srcdir)/ganglia.inc

bin_SCRIPTS = ganglia-config

However, things like ganglia-config should be generated during the install phase, although the default behavior for the _SCRIPTS primary appears to be processing ganglia-config.in during the build phase - is there a recommended way it can be influenced to delay processing until the install phase?