Re: How to use install-data-local conditionally with automake-1.6.3

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to use install-data-local conditionally with automake-1.6.3
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 21:48:56 +0100

Hello Steffen,

* Steffen Dettmer wrote on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 02:15:57PM CET:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:20 PM, wrote:
> > BTW, you should really update to a newer Automake version.
>
> I'm afraid that this won't be that easy:
> ./automake-1.11.1 # ./configure
> Perl 5.006 required--this is only version 5.00503, stopped at -e line 1.
> configure: error: perl 5.6 or better is required; perl 5.8.2 or better
> is recommended.

I'm really not interested in bug reports against 8-year-old 1.6.3.
Perl 5.6 is ten(!) years old, if you can't update at least your
development environment to that, then I'm afraid I cannot help you.
Your client's user machines don't need Automake installed, thus even
no need for Perl 5.6 from there.

> well and I'm afraid our Makefile.am could not work with recent
> automake versions because we used invalid constructions (because
> of not knowing it better or obsolete but still active
> automake-1.4 workarounds). At least we have issues with recent
> autoconfs (I mean, the issues are with our scripts of course but
> now get spotted).

Issues with updating to newer Autoconf and to newer Automake usually
require you to go through their respective NEWS files and addressing
documented incompatible changes.  The rest should be things that were
never well-defined.

For anything that remains, I suggest you ask for advice on these
lists and make your build system available for inspection.

> Ohh, and automake-1.6.3 is much faster that 1.11, right? :-)

If you have issues with the speed of newer Automake releases, then
show me your package build system setup.  We may find bottlenecks in
Automake code or things to do better in your build system.  Since
release 1.11, Automake can operate in parallel mode (using Perl threads)
which can speed up regeneration when you have many Makefile.am files.
Just set the environment variable $AUTOMAKE_JOBS to the number of
processors on your system for that.  It does start paying off only with
something like 10 or more Makefile.am files though, because Perl threads
have fairly high overhead.

OTOH, many rules that new automake generates are faster than those of
older automake.