Re: silent installs

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: silent installs
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:47:40 -0800

Joakim Tjernlund <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't know where to start even and considering that silent builds
> seems to be a very controversial subject within the autotools
> maintainers , I think this needs to come from the maintainers themselves
> to have any chance to be accepted.

There are some people on Automake mailing list who dislike them intensely.
I wouldn't read into that a great deal of ongoing controversy.  Those of
us who happily use them just don't bother to engage in the argument any
more.

I think there's general consensus that there needs to be a way to turn
them off and somewhat lesser but probably still reasonable consensus that
turning them on as an Automake-wide default is a bad idea, but I don't
think any of the maintainers are going to object to making it silent when
that's explicitly requested.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>