Re: doxygen in .h files and make tags

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: doxygen in .h files and make tags
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:39:50 +0100

Hello Steffen,

* Steffen Dettmer wrote on Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 02:10:16PM CET:
> here we use doxygen to comment functions in the .h files. When using
> "make tags", tags for the definitons but not for the declarations are
> generated. In case of "own functions" this is great (you jump to the
> implemenations when analysing code) but in other cases it is not and
> someone may want to see the documentation.
>
> What best practices exist here?

You can install Exuberant Ctags and let it tag declarations for you, too
(use the --<LANG>-kinds= option).  I think cscope can parse declarations
as well; git Automake provides a 'make cscope' rule.

I don't think either of those distinguish between functions that you
also define and those that you don't define, but why should you declare
functions from third parties?

For external stuff the above ctags provides a handy
  ctags -R /usr/include /opt/package1/include ...