Re: AIX shared libraries, make install misses them

From: Michael Perzl
Subject: Re: AIX shared libraries, make install misses them
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:49:23 +0100

Hi Daniel,

On 01/29/2010 12:19 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello Daniel,

* Daniel Pocock wrote on Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 03:21:24PM CET:
We have been working on getting the Ganglia tarball to work out of
the box for AIX

When Michael does `make install', the *.so files for our modules
are not installed.  Instead, he sees output like this from `make
install':

/opt/freeware/bin/bash ../../../libtool   --mode=install
../../../build/install-sh -c  'modcpu.la'
'/var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.la'
../../../build/install-sh -c .libs/modcpu.a
/var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.a
../../../build/install-sh -c .libs/modcpu.lai
/var/tmp/gg/lib/ganglia/modcpu.la

I've looked at the file gmond/modules/cpu/.libs/modcpu.la on AIX:

dlname='modcpu.so'
library_names='modcpu.a modcpu.a'
old_library=''

Is that without or with runtimelinking enabled (LDFLAGS=-Wl,-brtl passed
to configure)?  If without, then libtool puts the modcpu.so file into
the modcpu.a archive (the way AIX does with its system modules as well)
and that is to be expected.

With runtimelinking, the .so file should be a separate file.
That makes sense - I don't believe Michael has run it with the different LDFLAGS yet.

However, nothing gets installed - if the default behavior is to create modcpu.a, then shouldn't `make install' result in the installation of modcpu.a?

For changing LDFLAGS, I'd rather include this into configure.in, so it will be set automatically for AIX platforms. Can you make any suggestions on that? The project involves building some static libraries, shared libraries, and linking some of the static libraries to create an executable too. Will option be necessary for all such targets, or do I need to use it selectively?
Like I wrote in my other email I don't like the idea of globally setting "-Wl,-brtl" to LDFLAGS as not all required libraries are available in rtl-format on AIX (e.g., zlib, libpng etc.).

Regards,
Michael