Re: Installation of third-party SUBDIRS

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Installation of third-party SUBDIRS
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 07:37:29 +0100

Hello Matwey,

* Matwey V. Kornilov wrote on Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:36:16PM CET:
> I use a couple of third-party libraries in my software. I use SUBDIRS
> variable in my Makefile.am and AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS in my configure.in. How to
> suppress installation of SUBDIRed projects? I just use they for static
> linkage with my binary and don't need third-party headers and libraries
> installed.

If they have a --disable-install switch, you could add that to the
command line in a small wrapper script subpkg/configure.gnu which calls
their configure.

Otherwise, you could overwrite either their toplevel
  install:
  install-exec:
  install-data:
  install-dvi:
  install-html:
  install-info:
  install-ps:
  install-pdf:
  installdirs:
  installcheck:
  uninstall:

rules, or the ones in the your directory above theirs.  Since that
would require you to also manually ensure to let all other install
action happen, you might want to add another in-between subdir in
your project that does nothing else.

If you require GNU make, then the subpkg-toplevel overwrite could
happen in a GNUmakefile; but also, with GNU make, you could dynamically
adjust SUBDIRS in your directory above their, if MAKECMDGOALS contains
one of the above targets.  Your users shouldn't call `make all install'
then though.

Hope that helps.