Re: Reported location of test-suite.log

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Reported location of test-suite.log
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:28:48 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

A general comment: If you look at the output of a typical build from an
autotooled package, then there is very little that varies for different
builds.  So this problem actually applies not only to this case, but to
many different cases as well.

Perhaps so.  I only considered my own selfish case.

There is one crucial exception: `make' prints notices when it enters and
leaves a directory.  These notices contain absolute directories.  They
typically come right after a failure such as the one you posted.

I assume you mean GNU make? I don't think that all make programs do this. Even GNU make may be executed in a quiet mode where it does not print directory entry and exit messages.

Yes, sure, and I'm really undecided about this particular case, but I'd
prefer a clear logic of which set of messages all would need to provide
an absolute path and which don't need to, so that we can fix all
instances and not keep iterating.

That would be a good plan.

Bob
--