RE: split check target into check and test targets

From: Daily, Jeff A
Subject: RE: split check target into check and test targets
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:09:36 -0800

> > I attempted to split the "make check" target into "make check"
> > (build check_PROGRAMS) and "make test" (run check_PROGRAMS).
> > However, I get warnings that check-am was overridden.  How might I
> > split the building and running of check_PROGRAMS and still use the
> > generated parallel-tests using TESTS?  Thanks.
>
> You are trying to do something which violates the GNU coding
> standards since 'check' has a standard definition.
>
> If you use a different target name then there should be no problem:
>
> checkprogs : check_PROGRAMS
>
> test : check

Ok, fair enough.  But what's the easiest way to create a new recursive target
such as checkprogs?  Hopefully there's a more or less automatic way using
automake.  I have quite a few subdirectories each with a few test program
directories so it would be tedious to make this change.  Is there some way to
tap into the RECURSIVE_TARGETS variable?

Thanks,

Jeff