Re: Public header files

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: Public header files
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 12:18:10 -0700

Sorry - I addressed this note to Jef. It should have gone to Ben. My apologies.

On 3/3/2010 12:16 PM, John Calcote wrote:
Hi Jef,

On 3/3/2010 11:53 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
Jef Driesen<address@hidden>  writes:

It works fine for every system I have access too, but long long is not
standard and thus not guaranteed to be present. So I just want to make
sure it will work on other systems too.
"long long" has been standard for 11 years now.  It is irritating
that some vendors have apparently not updated their C compilers
in that long.

While I agree that standards should be followed, I find this one distasteful. I mean, "long long"? Is that supposed to be someone's idea of a scalable solution? What happens when we have 128-bit systems? Dare I venture: "long long long"? And please don't say we'll never have 128-bit systems. We've been down that road before; we know where it leads.

Personally, I like the idea of using int64_t and uint64_t. The exact same standard already defines such types for the more commonly used sizes, and it is scalable.

John