Re: AM_PROG_AS

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: AM_PROG_AS
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:11:19 -0500

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> * NightStrike wrote on Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 08:18:14PM CET:
>> Using AM_PROG_AS seems to set AS to 'as' instead of $host-as.  Is this
>> another case of user error, or is this an automake bug?
>
> AM_PROG_AS does not set AS.  This macro is 10 lines long, you could
> easily have verified that by looking at it.

Sorry, but I'm not that smart :(

I said that it "seems" to, since I just kept removing macros until AS
stopped being defined.  Maybe I put "dnl" on the wrong line and thus
drew the wrong conclusion.  Maybe I don't even need AS.  Do you know
if I can pass in the $(CCAS) that AM_PROG_AS sets according to the
manual into dlltool's --as option?  If CCAS is just set to gcc, will
dlltool be able to handle that?  Or is this getting just way too far
off topic, and I should just try it myself or go to the binutils list?