Re: Baked-in paths

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Baked-in paths
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:30:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Reuben Thomas wrote:

I imagine this question has been asked before, but searching the
archives, the net and the manual didn't help me with the following:

I have a C program which loads some scripts at runtime. These are
stored in datadir (e.g. /usr/local/share/prog). But I also want to be
able to run the program from its build directory.

At the moment I bake in the relevant path; I imagine that for "make
install" I have to rebuild the binary, baking in the installation
path, having baked the build directory path in a normal "make".

Is there a recommended way to deal with this situation?

I use environment variables to tell the test programs where the source directory is. If the test programs are executed via a test script, then the test script can format program arguments appropriately. If you also test using your main installable program, you need to take care that any embedded environment variables don't cause a security problem.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn