Re: Building prog first

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: Building prog first
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:34:26 -0600

Hi Russell,

On 3/21/2010 6:14 AM, Russell Shaw wrote:
I was limping along for years learning autoconf/make in bits until this
tutorial came out

  Autotools: a practitioner's guide to Autoconf, Automake and Libtool

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/autotools_a_guide_to_autoconf_automake_libtool

I realized a lot of useful things after that. The main thing that makes
it easy is that a real project is stepped through with lots of side discussions, and high-level overviews put things in to perspective. I'd really like to have
a hard-copy book of that tutorial.

Thanks very much for the positive feedback. A much enhanced (and somewhat corrected) version of the book is scheduled to be published in May 2010 by No Starch Press:

http://www.amazon.com/Autotools-Practioners-Autoconf-Automake-Libtool/dp/1593272065

Best regards,
John

After that, i could understand the autoconf manual. I was on dos/windows
up to nearly yr2000 or so, so i had to learn unix programming, shell
programming, make-file programming, m4, how unix processes work etc,
to be able to look in generated Makefiles and "configure" and see from
that what errors i was making in configure.ac and automake.am.
Learning too many things simultaneously, but i know now.