Re: revision control info in generated files

From: Jef Driesen
Subject: Re: revision control info in generated files
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:41:46 +0200

On 12/04/10 14:59, Peter Johansson wrote:
Jef Driesen wrote:
mylib_la_SOURCES += version.c
mylib_HEADERS += version.h

BUILT_SOURCES = version.h
EXTRA_DIST += $(srcdir)/version
CLEANFILES += version-t

Took me a while to figure out the escaping of the @ symbol. It seems
to work fine, except that I would like to add "$(srcdir)/version.h.in"
as a dependency for "version.h". But when I add that, make distcheck
fails and I don't know why.

The error I get is:

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `../../src/version.h.in', needed
by `version.h'.  Stop.

Looks like you're not distributing `version.h.in'. I would try adding
`EXTRA_DIST = version.h.in'.

My version.h used to be generated in configure.ac (AC_CONFIG_FILES), and hence it was distributed automatically. Forgot about that detail when I moved it to the makefile. Silly mistake :-)

Also, I would try avoid distributing
`version.h', but not sure how to do that from top of my head.

Why would you not distribute it?

I think it's very useful that it gets distributed. Imagine someone downloads a tarball and wants to built it with the msvc compiler (which I support for my project). Since no files can be generated in that (non autotools) environment, that works fine *if* the generated files are distributed.

When I used to generate those files from configure.ac, they were distributed as well.