Re: Include directive for all generated Makefile.in

From: Xavier MARCELET
Subject: Re: Include directive for all generated Makefile.in
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:38:36 +0200

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello Xavier,

* Xavier MARCELET wrote on Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 03:58:33PM CEST:
I have an include file (named 'my_include.am') that I want to append
in all the Makefile.in of my project
as if it was included in all my Makefile.am.
I don't want to edit all the makefile.am files (even through a script)

Is there any simple way to do that ?

Not really.  But if you already have one such include, and want to
include another fragment, then you should be able to add that to the
first fragment.  Note however that paths do not work file-recursively,
so the inner include should use a path starting in $(top_srcdir).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply, but this is not what I'm looking for.

Lets say that the file "my_include.am" declares a rule to generate documentation :
$cat my_include.am
doc :
   INPUT=. doxygen doxygen.cfg

Now, I wish to include this rule in every Makefile generated from Makefile.in that are themselves generated from Makefile.am.

A simple solution would be to include "my_include.am" in all Makefile.am as follow :

head -n 1 ./src/Makefile.am
   include $(top_srcdir)/my_include.am
head -n 1 ./src/tools/Makefile.am
   include $(top_srcdir)/my_include.am

However, I don't want to add the "include" instruction in the Makefile.am, in fact, I don't want to modify those files at all.

My question is : is there any way to get the same result by modifying another automake's config file, like configure.ac for instance ?

--
Xavier