Problem with parallel builds

From: Roberto Bagnara
Subject: Problem with parallel builds
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:33:25 +0200

Hi there,

we are about to release PPL 0.11 and Sebastian Pop (who is working
on GCC/Graphite) encountered a problem we never met, despite the fact
that we continuously build the PPL with make -j 7 on a machine with
2 CPUs and 8 cores.  The problem is described here

  https://www.cs.unipr.it/mantis/view.php?id=105

and the Makefile.am that may contain the error is

http://www.cs.unipr.it/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ppl/ppl.git;a=blob_plain;f=src/Makefile.am;hb=HEAD

In short, ppl-config is a program whose sources are ppl-config.cc,
generated at configure-time, and ppl.hh, generated at build-time.
However, in Sebastian's build the automatic dependency mechanism
makes ppl-config.o depend on /usr/include/ppl.hh (a file belonging
to a previous installation of the PPL) and not the ppl.hh that is/will
be built on the current directory.

Can some expert give us a hand?  I am struggling with this problem since
yesterday to no avail: I am unable to reproduce it and to identify
in the Automake manual what the cause might be.
Many thanks in advance,

   Roberto

--
Prof. Roberto Bagnara