Re: Built-in target to delete all generated files

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: Built-in target to delete all generated files
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:27:47 -0400

Hi Trevor,

Trevor Harmon wrote:
Hi,

My project lives in a source code repository (Subversion), and I'm trying to
keep all generated files out of it. This would be easier if there were a
built-in way of deleting anything and everything generated by Autotools. I
could then run autoreconf to recreate them as needed.

I know about "make maintainer-clean", which does most of the job, but it still
leaves some generated files around: aclocal.m4, config.h.in, configure, depcomp, INSTALL,
install-sh, Makefile.in, and missing.

Is there another makefile target (or any other built-in mechanism) that will
delete ALL generated files?

You can extend maintainer-clean using either MANTAINERCLEANFILES or maintainer-clean-local as documented here

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Clean

In that way you need to list all files you wanna have deleted. Another way, a more dangerous way I would say, is to use the script `svn-clean' which is provided by subversion. You can find it via subversion's homepage or download it from here

http://dev.thep.lu.se/yat/svn/tags/0.5/build_support/svn-clean

I used to add a rule for `svn-clean' with something like this:

svn-clean: maintainer-clean
$(PERL) $(top_srcdir)/build-aux/svn-clean $(srcdir)

'make svn-clean' would delete whatever maintainer-clean remioves followed by removing all files that are not committed to svn. I learnt that this is very dangerous and after a couple of accidents I decided to remove the target.

Of note, GCS states that: "More generally, ‘make maintainer-clean’ should not delete anything that needs to exist in order to run configure and then begin to build the program".

Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Johansson