Re: cross-compiling but keeping one target native

From: Simon Richter
Subject: Re: cross-compiling but keeping one target native
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:00:45 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 03:37:37PM -0700, Natalie Tasman wrote:

> I've created a separate configure.ac and Makefile.in for the "native"
> project.  However, when invoking configuration from the top-level
> (cross-compiled) project, AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS passes various options,
> including directives to use the top-level cache as well as the "--host"
> cross-compile directive.

Normally I just generate a toplevel Makefile that creates subdirectories
and calls the sub-configure explicitly, but I've always thought of that
as slightly suboptimal. Since I needed it for a work project anyway I
thought I could spend an hour of company time on it.

The attached acinclude.m4 fragment defines

SJR_CONFIG_NATIVE_SUBDIRS(...)

which allows you to list sub-directories, allowed anywhere before the
output bits, and

SJR_OUTPUT_NATIVE_SUBDIRS

which invokes the sub-configure, and should be used after AC_OUTPUT.

> Do you know how to cause the subproject to be ./configured as a truly
> independent project, without passing cached config data as well as options
> from the top level?

I do filter the option list, but most options go through. I think it
might be an idea to map CC_FOR_BUILD to CC etc.

> BTW, the autoconf list bounced me back here :)

Well, they are wrong. :)

   Simon