Re: how to change $(CC) for just some targets

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: Re: how to change $(CC) for just some targets
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 15:51:25 -0400

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 12:51 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Brian,

Hi Ralf,

> What do you need $(LD) or $(foo_LD) for?  It is not referenced by any
> automake-generated rules really.

LD is the rough representation of whatever should be used for the link
phase.  I suppose in most (gnu) cases $(LD) == $(CC).

> Yes, we do this too.  And currently don't use subdir-objects for this
> reason.

Right.  It works, indeed.  It's just a proliferation of dirs I was
hoping to avoid.  For each (of a number) of dirs with source in them, I
now have two subdirs of each, one for mpi targets and now one for
pthread targets.

I was just surprised that I could set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS and additional
linker arguments on a per target basis but not specify a compiler and/or
linker on a per target basis.

Would this be something difficult to add or relatively simple, just not
really been so much of a demand for it thus far?

Cheers,
b.