Re: shared object and Makefile.am

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: shared object and Makefile.am
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:47:33 +0200

* Wesley Smith wrote on Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 03:02:26PM CEST:
> Also, one more follow up questions ... how can I have autotools not
> put things in the .libs hidden dir but in the source dir itself?

You can't; that's by intention: in order to use uninstalled libraries
and modules, you typically need more things to do, and libtool is
supposed to encapsulate that for you.  For example, if you link a
program against an uninstalled library, then use something like
  bin_PROGRAMS = proggie
  proggie_LDADD = ../lib/libfoo.la

(see the Automake manual for more details, Stefano pointed you to it),
and when you need to dlopen an uninstalled module module.so from an
uninstalled program proggie, then use this for executing the uninstalled
program:

  ./libtool --mode=execute -dlopen mod/module.la ./proggie [...]

that will set the appropriate environment (LD_LIBRARY_FLAGS on
GNU/Linux, etc.) for use of the module.  This particular detail is
documented in the Libtool manual,
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/ .