Re: $(DEPDIR)

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: $(DEPDIR)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 21:19:12 +0200

Hi Bruce,

* Bruce Korb wrote on Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 06:30:29PM CEST:
> I've fiddled my playtime tool "autogen" to emit dependency info:
>
> > AUTOGEN_opts_TList := \
> >     opts.h \
> >     opts.c
> >
> > AUTOGEN_opts_SList := \
> >     opts.def \
> >     /old-home/bkorb/ag/ag/autoopts/options.tpl \
> >     /old-home/bkorb/ag/ag/autoopts/optlib.tpl \
> >     /old-home/bkorb/ag/ag/autoopts/opthead.tpl \
> >     /old-home/bkorb/ag/ag/autoopts/optcode.tpl \
> >     /old-home/bkorb/ag/ag/autoopts/optmain.tpl
> >
> > stamp-opts : $(AUTOGEN_opts_SList)
> >
> > $(AUTOGEN_opts_TList) : stamp-opts
>
> and now I'd like to integrate that with the @AMDEP_TRUE@ / $(DEPDIR)
> scheme.  However, I find it a bit daunting to wend my way through
> the perl stuff to figure out exactly how to play nice with all the
> make file conditional stuff.  A few pointers to get me started in
> the right direction would be Very Nice, indeed.

I'm not sure I understand.  What is it that autogen does (sample input X
leads to output Y when run like Z) and what is it that you want
Automake (or another tool) to do (input X leads to output Y)?  Do you
intend to write a patch for Automake, or is this something purely
external for one specific project, or to be more generally usable for
all users of Autogen inside a project using Automake for building?

Thanks,