custom install paths

From: Wesley Smith
Subject: custom install paths
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:32:43 +0200

I've been reading ch12 in the automake manual, trying to make heads or
tails of how to setup a custom install location as a default that can
be overridden by the user.

Here's an example Makefile.am

AM_CPPFLAGS = -I/usr/include/lua5.1 -I/usr/include/cairo
-I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/freetype2

lib_LTLIBRARIES = cairo.la
cairo_la_LDFLAGS = -module -avoid-version
cairo_la_LIBADD = -llua5.1 -L/usr/lib -lcairo -L/usr/lib -ldirectfb
-L/usr/lib -lfreetype -L/usr/lib
cairo_la_SOURCES = src/lcairo.c

On linux (or ubuntu at the very least), modules get installed in
/usr/share/lua/5.1.  What do I need to do in order to have 'make
install' put the resulting binary in that location?

thanks,
wes