Re: custom install paths

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: custom install paths
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:22:24 -0700

Wesley Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been reading ch12 in the automake manual, trying to make heads or
> tails of how to setup a custom install location as a default that can be
> overridden by the user.

> Here's an example Makefile.am

> AM_CPPFLAGS = -I/usr/include/lua5.1 -I/usr/include/cairo
> -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/freetype2

> lib_LTLIBRARIES = cairo.la
> cairo_la_LDFLAGS = -module -avoid-version
> cairo_la_LIBADD = -llua5.1 -L/usr/lib -lcairo -L/usr/lib -ldirectfb
> -L/usr/lib -lfreetype -L/usr/lib
> cairo_la_SOURCES = src/lcairo.c

> On linux (or ubuntu at the very least), modules get installed in
> /usr/share/lua/5.1.

Surely not given that you're generating the module by compiling code.
/usr/lib/lua/5.1, perhaps?

> What do I need to do in order to have 'make install' put the resulting
> binary in that location?

luadir = $(LUA_DIR)
lua_LTLIBRARIES = cairo.la

and then set LUA_DIR as an AC_SUBST variable in your Autoconf
configure.ac, which can then apply platform-specific logic, use a --with
flag to specify the path, etc.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>