RE: call for help/crazy idea: nmake support

From: David Byron
Subject: RE: call for help/crazy idea: nmake support
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:25:16 -0700

On Saturday, July 31, 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> * David Byron wrote on Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:41:29PM CEST:
>
> > If someone is running autotools (or even a generated
> > configure script) on windows, I think we can assume
> > they've either got cygwin or msys which implies access
> > to make.
>
> OK, so what if they are not actually running configure (or
> would not actually need to)?  Presumably automake could
> produce a ready nmake file (or forbid, a vcproj) in at
> least simple cases?

I could use some more info on how this would work in practice.  Does this
mean that tarballs of packaged source contain an nmake file in addition to
configure and Makefile.in?  I don't think it's safe to assume that one nmake
file is sufficient for all MSVC tool + Platform SDK versions.

Plus also, if end users don't run configure they lose the ability to pass
args to configure (either --with-* or environment variable definitions).

-DB