Re: Testing a new compiler with Automake "simple tests"

From: Roberto Bagnara
Subject: Re: Testing a new compiler with Automake "simple tests"
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:55:46 +0200

On 08/17/10 13:26, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
At Tuesday 17 August 2010, Roberto Bagnara wrote:
I would like to test a new special-purpose compiler
(which is part of a bigger project) using the Automake
"simple tests" feature.

I have two problems:

1) I have not found a way to force recompilation
     of all test programs whenever the compiler executable
     has changed.  Note that we are talking about
     thousands of test programs so, if at all possible,
     I would like to avoid listing that dependency
     for each one of those.
Maybe I don't understand the problem, but... what's wrong
with:
   $(TESTS): your-special-purpose-compiler
or something similar?

Hi Stefano, thanks for your prompt reply.
That dependency cases relinking whenever the compiler
changes, whereas I need recompilation.
Do you know if there is a way I can force Automake
to add a dependency on the compiler in the .c.o rule?
That is, to generate:

.c.o:   my-special-purpose-compiler
        $(AM_V_CC) \
        $(COMPILE) -c $<

2) Automatic dependency tracking cannot work in
     that directory of the project (indeed, the only
     dependency is on the compiler... all the test
     programs are self-contained).  How can I disably
     automatic dependency tracking *only* on that
     directory?
What about adding `no-dependencies' to AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS
in that directory's Makefile.am?  The documentation at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Options>
reads:
   "no-dependencies: This is similar to using --ignore-deps on the
    command line, but is useful for those situations where you don't
    have the necessary bits to make automatic dependency tracking work
    (see Dependencies).  In this case the effect is to effectively
    disable automatic dependency tracking."

Yes, this works.  Sorry for not having looked at the manual carefully
enough (not that I did not try).
Thanks a lot,

  Roberto

--