Re: Disabling parallel builds in subdirectory

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Disabling parallel builds in subdirectory
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:29:46 +0200

Hello Rhys,

* Rhys Ulerich wrote on Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 08:24:36PM CEST:
> Within my Makefile.am I have the usual
>     SUBDIRS = lib suzerain tests apps writeup
> which walks the subdirectories in my build tree.  Is there some way to
> disable a parallel 'make -j#' build in just one subdirectory?

You can put
  .NOTPARALLEL:

in a Makefile.am, and GNU make and some versions of BSD make will not
run things in parallel in this makefile.  HP-UX make won't obey, but it
has a different sytax other than -j anyway, and its parallel semantic
look fairly screwed up to me, at least some automake-generated rules
won't work with it.

Cheers,
ralf